Sunday, September 21, 2008

Codi and Hallie

In the book Animal Dreams, Codi and Hallie differ in many ways. Although they are sisters, each of them have their own unique traits. Hallie is adventurous and travels to Nicaragua to help the families grow crops more efficiently. Codi moves back to her original town and is considered more self-centered and lacks self-confidence. "No, that was Hallie. She's the one that has such a soft heart. We've always been real different that way. She'd cry if she stepped on a bug." I drained my beer. "She's still like that, except now she cries about bag ladies. I swear. She gives them quarters and then wishes she'd give them a dollar."(pg.29). Hallie is more determined and has her mind set on what she wants to do. Codi is lost and unsure of her outlook on life. She is yet to discover her true self. "I am the sister who didn't go to war. I can only tell you my side of the story. Hallie is the one who went south, with her pickup truck and her crop-disease books and her heart dead set on a new world."(pg.7). These sisters may seem very different, but they do share some of the same qualities. Both girls are very tall and went through some of the same experiences. "The height, at least, wasn't lost on Hallie and me. We turned out to be six feet on average--Hallie one inch over, and I, one under."(pg.46). They also are very smart, caring and industrious. Codi and Hallie differ in many ways but also are alike. The relationship between them is strong but distant since they are living far away from each other.

2 comments:

Joan (kitty) said...

Ahh, i did my comparison on Hallie and Codi too!

Christie Brauer said...

Your comparison was really good and well written! The adjectives fit the characters well!